I Never Expected This from Elle Kennedy... (Thornbird Review) 🖤

 I Never Expected This from Elle Kennedy... 

(
Thornbird Review) 🖤

Published: July 22nd, 2026


Romance in the Coffee Rings Quick Stats

Overall Rating: ★★★★★ (5/5)

❤️ Favorite Character: Ryan Shipley

🕵️ Favorite Element: The twists and mystery

😱 Biggest Surprise: The ending... trust me, you'll NEVER see it coming.

Coffee Pairing: Dark Chocolate Mocha

⚠️ Spoiler-Free Review: This review contains no major plot spoilers, so you can keep reading even if Thornbird is still on your TBR!


 What's It About?

When most readers hear Elle Kennedy, romance is probably the first thing that comes to mind.

It definitely was for me.

That's exactly why Thornbird completely caught me off guard.

The story follows Ryan Shipley, who returns to Starling, Tennessee, ten years after her father—infamous serial killer Gabriel Thorn—was arrested. Hoping to leave the past behind, Ryan quickly realizes that some secrets refuse to stay buried.

As new clues begin to surface, the mystery only gets deeper, and I found myself trying to piece everything together right alongside her.

If you love thrillers packed with twists, mystery, and secrets, this one absolutely delivers.


Ryan Was My Favorite Character

Ryan was easily my favorite character.

She just felt so real.

She wasn't fearless, and she didn't have all the answers. Instead, she was someone trying to move forward while constantly being pulled back into a past she'd rather leave behind.

I honestly don't think many people would react perfectly in her situation, and that's exactly why I connected with her so much. She felt human, and I found myself rooting for her from beginning to end.


 The Mystery Had Me Hooked

This book had me questioning everything.

The mystery surrounding what really happened years ago and the secrets buried in Starling kept me completely hooked from beginning to end.

Every time I thought I had finally figured everything out...

Another clue would appear.

Another question would come up.

Another twist would completely change my theory.

I genuinely had no idea where this story was going.


The Ending...

Without giving away any spoilers...

Let me just say this.

You will NEVER see it coming.

I had my theories.

I was convinced I knew exactly what was happening.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

And honestly...

That's exactly what I want from a thriller.


Why This Book Surprised Me

I've always loved Elle Kennedy for her romance novels.

So, seeing her write a young adult thriller honestly shocked me.

She proved she can build suspense just as effortlessly as she writes romance.

I genuinely hope this isn't the last thriller we get from her because she absolutely nailed it.


Romance in the Coffee Rings Coffee Pairing

🖤 Dark Chocolate Mocha

Rich.

Bold.

A little mysterious.

Just like Thornbird.

Ingredients

  • ☕ Espresso
  • 🍫 Dark chocolate sauce
  • 🥛 Steamed milk
  • ☁️ Whipped cream
  • ✨ Chocolate shavings

The perfect drink to sip while trying to solve the mystery before Ryan does.


Would I Recommend It?

Absolutely.

If you love books that keep you guessing, unexpected twists, and stories that make you question everything, I think Thornbird deserves a spot on your TBR.

Just don't blame me when you stay up way too late trying to figure everything out. 😉☕


Final Thoughts

If you're picking up Thornbird expecting one of Elle Kennedy's signature romances...

Think again.

This book is packed with mystery, suspense, secrets, and twists that kept me guessing until the very last page.

It's completely different from anything I've read by Elle Kennedy before...

And that's exactly why I loved it.


 Let's Talk!

Have you read Thornbird?

Did you figure out the ending before the big reveal?

No spoilers in the comments! 👀

I'd love to hear what you thought.

Until next time...

Happy reading, happy sipping, and don't forget the coffee. ☕🖤

— Erica | Romance in the Coffee Rings


🖤 P.S.

If you've only read Elle Kennedy's romances, don't let that stop you from picking up Thornbird. I honestly loved seeing a completely different side of her writing, and it made me even more excited to read whatever she writes next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

📦 August Book Mail & Preorders ✨

What’s the Hype Wednesday: Obsession Never Looked This Dark 🖤

☕ The Weekly Pour: Vacation Hauls & Bookish Bliss