Coffee Chat Friday: Things Romance Books Have Made Me Unrealistically Expect ☕
☕ Coffee Chat Friday: Things Romance Books Have Made Me Unrealistically Expect
I love romance books. Obviously. But after reading enough of them, I think we need to acknowledge something:
They have completely ruined my perception of what is normal.
Now, let me be clear—I am happily engaged, so I'm not exactly out here waiting for a billionaire hockey player to sweep me off my feet. 😂 But that doesn't mean romance books haven't made me look at certain situations and think, Well... this would be much more interesting if this were a book.
Because apparently, somewhere along the way, I started accepting dramatic rain confessions, suspiciously thoughtful men, private jets, and completely unhinged displays of devotion as perfectly reasonable romantic behavior.
So grab your coffee, because we're talking about all the things romance books have made me unrealistically expect. ☕💕
😏 1. Every Argument Should Have a Little Sexual Tension
Why are romance-book arguments never just arguments?
They're standing way too close. Someone's jaw is clenched. Someone says something they absolutely should not say. There's prolonged eye contact.
And suddenly I'm sitting there like...
Just kiss already.
Romance books have convinced me that apparently every disagreement should come with at least a little unresolved sexual tension.
Is that healthy communication? Probably not.
Is it entertaining? Absolutely.
☕ 2. Remembering the Little Things Is Basically a Requirement
Romance-book men remember everything.
She mentions her favorite coffee order once? He remembers it 200 pages later.
She points out something she loves in a store window? Surprise—he bought it.
She casually mentions a childhood memory? Somehow he's recreating it for her during the third act.
My standards were already pretty high, and romance books certainly did not help.
There's just something ridiculously romantic about someone paying enough attention to remember the tiny things you didn't even realize they were listening to.
🏒 3. Professional Athletes Are Secretly Giant Softies
Sports romance has done irreparable damage here.
Because according to romance books, every intimidating professional athlete is actually just a giant emotionally unavailable teddy bear waiting for the right person.
He can fight someone on the ice, terrify everyone around him, and have the emotional communication skills of a brick wall...
But then she gets sick and suddenly he's making soup and checking her temperature every ten minutes.
And yes.
I fall for it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
😡💕 4. If He Hates Her, Obviously He's in Love With Her
This one might actually go back further than romance books because my mom always told me that if a boy was mean to me, it probably meant he liked me.
So really, I never stood a chance.
Now I read enemies-to-lovers and the second two characters start absolutely despising each other, I'm immediately like:
Oh, they're going to fall in love.
The insults? Flirting.
The glaring? Sexual tension.
The “I cannot stand you”?
Sure, buddy. See you in Chapter 20.
🛏️ 5. There Will Somehow Be Only One Bed
One of the most unrealistic situations in romance novels somehow keeps happening over and over again.
The hotel lost the reservation.
The cabin only has one bedroom.
There's a snowstorm.
Something happened.
There. Is. Only. One. Bed.
Would this situation actually mean anything to me in real life? I'm engaged, so probably not. 😂
But when it happens in a book?
Suddenly I'm sitting up a little straighter.
Because we ALL know what's coming.
💰 6. Billionaires Should Use Their Power for Petty Revenge
Do I need a billionaire?
No.
Have billionaire romances convinced me that having access to a private jet at all times sounds incredibly convenient?
...Yes.
But it's not even the money that gets me. It's when someone hurts the FMC and the billionaire MMC quietly decides to use his ridiculous amount of power and influence to make that person's life just a little more difficult.
Someone treats her horribly and suddenly their business deal falls through?
Someone embarrasses her and mysteriously loses access to an exclusive event?
Should one person have this much power?
Probably not.
Do I enjoy reading about him using it because someone hurt her?
Absolutely.
🌧️ 7. I Want the Dramatic Rain Confession
Here's the problem: I hate being the center of attention.
So the huge public declaration with hundreds of people watching me?
No thank you. I would like to disappear immediately.
But romance books have apparently convinced me that standing in the pouring rain while someone finally admits they've been hopelessly in love with me the entire time is completely acceptable.
Preferably after an argument.
Extra points if someone tries to walk away first.
Is it dramatic?
Yes.
Would everyone actually be freezing, soaked, and miserable?
Also yes.
But this is romance-book logic. Let me have this.
🥹 8. Saying “I Love You” Isn't Enough—Where Is the SPEECH?
Romance books have absolutely destroyed the simple “I love you.”
Because now I need the speech.
I need to know when you realized.
I need to know why.
I need callbacks to things that happened 200 pages ago.
I need at least one line that makes me put the book down, stare at the wall, and reconsider every decision I've ever made.
Three little words?
Cute.
But where is my three-paragraph monologue?
🧠 9. You Should Apparently Remember Everything I've Ever Said
This goes beyond remembering my coffee order.
Romance-book MMCs will remember something the FMC said approximately six months ago at 2:17 p.m. while she wasn't even paying attention to the conversation.
And then it becomes important later.
HOW?
Meanwhile, I sometimes can't remember why I walked into a room.
But apparently my fictional expectations now include someone maintaining a detailed mental archive of every random comment I've ever made.
Completely reasonable.
💕 10. One Emotional Conversation Can Fix Literally Everything
The third-act breakup can be CATASTROPHIC.
Trust has been destroyed.
Someone moved across the country.
Families are involved.
There are secrets.
Nobody has spoken for three months.
I'm sitting there wondering how we're possibly getting a happily ever after with 37 pages left.
Then they have one really good conversation.
Suddenly?
Everything is fine.
Flash forward to the epilogue and they're married, living in their dream house, there's probably a dog running around, and depending on the book, someone's pregnant.
Sometimes even I'm sitting there thinking:
We might need another conversation before the wedding, guys. 😂
🚩 BONUS: The Bossy, Controlling MMC
And now we need to discuss one of the biggest differences between my fictional standards and my real-life standards.
A bossy, controlling man in real life?
🚩🚩🚩
Absolutely not.
You are not telling me what to wear, where I'm going, who I'm allowed to talk to, or making every decision for me.
But put that exact behavior inside a romance novel and suddenly my brain apparently stops working.
“You're not going anywhere.”
Excuse me? 👀
“Get in the car.”
Oh???
“Who did this to you?”
Well, now I'm listening.
And when he goes completely overboard because someone hurt her?
Unfortunately, I'm probably highlighting the scene.
Would I tolerate this behavior in real life?
Absolutely not.
Will I continue loving completely over-the-top, possessive, bossy MMCs in my romance books?
Unfortunately, yes. 😂
☕ So... Have Romance Books Ruined Me?
Maybe just a little.
But that's part of why I love reading romance.
I don't actually need my real life to include a billionaire with a private jet, a conveniently overbooked hotel, an enemies-to-lovers situation, or someone dramatically confessing their love for me during a thunderstorm.
Some of these things would actually be major problems outside the pages of a book.
But inside them?
Give me the banter. Give me the tension. Give me the ridiculous grand gestures. Give me the emotionally unavailable athlete who's secretly a sweetheart. Give me the man who remembers something she said in Chapter 2 and brings it back in Chapter 30.
And apparently, give me the walking red flag MMC—as long as he stays fictional. 🚩😂
That's the fun of romance books.
Realistic expectations? Maybe not.
A really good time? Every single time.
☕ Coffee Chat Question
What has reading romance books made YOU unrealistically expect? And what's something that's a giant red flag in real life... but you absolutely love reading about?
Tell me yours—I promise this is a judgment-free zone for fictional red flags. 😂☕📚
Until next time, keep your coffee hot, your books romantic, and your fictional red flags safely between the pages. ☕📚🚩💕
Happy reading!
Erica ☕💕
Romance in the Coffee Rings

Comments
Post a Comment